Monday, January 31, 2005

SMART

Today I am supposed to start being SMART. That is, redefining my goal setting so that it is SMART: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Result-oriented, Time Bound....

e.g., Today (Time-bound), I will consume 2 (Measurable) bagels with cream cheese and jalapeno jelly (Specific), 1 bowl (Measurable) of noodles with spicy scallops (Specific), and 1.5 scoops (Measurable) of Tiramisu Gelato from Mario's Gelato (Specific). These goals are all achievable because I've got all the required ingredients in my house. The Result-oriented part is that I'll have satisfied my carbohydrate craving thereby bringing myself closer to my "happy place".

Actually I don't have a problem with setting goals... I have a problem with fulfilling them. I am so good at goal setting and "TO DO" List-ing that I suddenly find myself overwhelmed by the amount of stuff I said I'd get done. Not to mention all the stuff that doesn't make the list because they're a daily given.

I need help. My Cohort (hubby) has reminded me that part of my self-derision and despair comes from thinking I'm a failure and that stems from looking at the lists of things I said I needed to accomplish and of course only managing to complete 5% of the tasks I listed. I mean, when I was making the list, it didn't look like it should be unachievable. Just three things to do... that's all... And it's not like I was being unreasonable or overly ambitious. I didn't have on my list (1) Write the next great Canadian novel or (2) find the cure for cancer or (3) make my house look like Martha Stewart lives here. My list looks something like this:
1. Research Canadian geographical points of interest and make a list of 5 geographical highlights for each of the provinces and territories.
2. Write 2 query letters to children's magazines/publications
3. Complete color illustration of Mrs. Calabash (main character in my picture book)

These items have been on my Task list for 3 weeks now. It's not looking good. I don't mean to procrastinate, but it seems that I get distracted. I read something on the web and then hit a link and then another and then... well they don't call it the WEB for nothing!

I'm going to stop blogging now so that I can start on at least one of my goals - but first I have to have my first bagel with creamcheese and jalapeno jelly.

No comments: